Indonesia has followed Malaysia and the Philippines in announcing a "conditional" unblocking of xAI chatbot Grok. These Southeast Asian countries previously banned Grok after it was used to mass-generate non-consensual sexualized images on social platform X (now a subsidiary of xAI), including images of real women and minors.Separate analysis by The New York Times and the Center to Counter Digital Hate revealed that Grok was used to generate at least 1.8 million sexualized images of women between late December and January alone.

Indonesia's Ministry of Communications and Digital Affairs said in a statement that it decided to lift the ban on Grok after Platform X sent a letter outlining its "specific measures to improve services and prevent abuse." The letter purportedly spells out the compliance and corrective measures the platform has committed to taking, and the relevant content was translated and disclosed by the New York Times. Alexander Sabal, Director General of Communications and Digital Space Monitoring, emphasized that the lifting of the ban is a "conditional" restoration of services, and the ban may still be reactivated if further violations are discovered in the future.

Malaysia and the Philippines were the first to lift their ban on Grok on January 23, making Indonesia one of the latest countries to resume the service. At the same time, the problem of Grok generating deepfake sexual images has triggered widespread criticism and regulatory investigations in many countries around the world, but there are still only a few countries that have actually implemented comprehensive bans. In the U.S., California Attorney General Rob Bonta said his office was investigating xAI and had sent a "cease and desist" letter to the company, demanding immediate steps to stop the production of illegal images.

As the incident continues to ferment, xAI has taken some measures to tighten some functions, including limiting Grok's AI image generation function to only X's paying subscribers. Elon Musk, CEO of xAI, emphasized that "anyone who uses Grok to create illegal content will face the same legal consequences as uploading illegal content" and said that he is "not aware of any images of minor nudity generated by Grok."

As regulatory pressure mounts, Musk himself has come under renewed scrutiny for his dealings with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice on Friday show at least 16 email exchanges between Musk and Epstein between 2012 and 2013, including one in which Musk expressed interest in traveling to Epstein's Caribbean island and asked about what he called "the wildest party on your island." Epstein was convicted in 2008 of soliciting underage girls for prostitution.

At the commercial level, xAI was also revealed to be negotiating mergers with two other companies owned by Musk. There are reports that xAI is exploring merger options with aerospace company SpaceX and electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla to pave the way for SpaceX’s future initial public offering. If the relevant plans come to fruition, Musk's many core companies are expected to form a closer integrated structure at the capital and technology levels.

Related articles:

Musk AI company promises to rectify indecent images, Philippines lifts ban on Grok

Musk AI company corrects indecent images, Malaysia lifts ban on Grok