According to the Financial Times, at the just-opened Paris Motor Show, Chinese automakers said they were not seeking to "overthrow" established European automakers with cheaper electric vehicles.The Chinese automaker's stance is aimed at allaying concerns from European rivals about its aggressive international expansion.

Xpeng Motors

Currently, many well-known Chinese automakers, including Xpeng Motors and Guangzhou Automobile Group, are participating in the biennial Paris Motor Show. In the face of additional tariffs imposed by the EU and the warning of "Chinese car companies are invading Europe" issued by Strantis CEO Carlos Tavares, Chinese car manufacturers reiterated their long-term commitment to the European market.

"Xpeng is a company that has been established for 10 years. We will not overthrow companies that have a history of more than 100 years." said Gu Hongdi, co-president of Xpeng. Xpeng showcased an electric sedan equipped with highly advanced artificial intelligence technology at the Paris Motor Show.

Gu Hongdi added that Xpeng hopes to position itself as a supplier of "high-end electric vehicles" in Europe. Although Xpeng may also consider launching more affordable models,But he said: "We don't want to compete on price, that's not our goal."

Gu Hongdi

He also revealed that after reaching an agreement with Volkswagen this year to develop two electric vehicles,Xiaopeng is "willing to cooperate more with the public."

Guangzhou Automobile Group, which is also making a push into the European market, struck a similarly conciliatory tone when talking about the economics of entering the European market and highlighted the company's potential to eventually work with European suppliers.

"When we entered the European market, we came with a cooperative attitude. We hope to cooperate with partners in the industry chain while meeting the needs of European consumers."Feng Xingya, general manager of GAC Group, said.

The Financial Times stated that Chinese car companies made conciliatory remarks to Europe at the Paris Auto Show, reflecting the European auto industry's anxiety about Chinese electric vehicles. Earlier this month, EU member states decided to impose additional tariffs of up to 35% on Chinese electric vehicles despite opposition. At the same time, local European car companies such as Volkswagen and Strantis issued a series of profit warnings, casting a shadow over the future of their European factories.

Some European automakers are more cautious in their comments about Chinese competitors, in part because they hope to cooperate with some Chinese rivals to enhance their technological advantages.

French Renault CEO Lucade Meo said on Monday that he would actively respond to challenges from Chinese automakers, but also called for greater cooperation in the battery supply chain because Chinese companies control key raw materials.

"They want a piece of the pie. In exchange, we might need some help," DeMeo said. Renault is developing electric vehicle facilities in northern France, thanks in part to a partnership with China's Envision Power, which will supply Renault with batteries.