South Korea has confirmed 52 cases of measles so far this year, the country's most confirmed cases in six years, health authorities said on Sunday, as the infectious disease previously thought to have been eradicated is making a comeback around the world. According to the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA), a total of 52 measles cases have been confirmed nationwide since the beginning of this year, exceeding the 49 cases last year and the highest number since 2019 (194 cases).

In 2014, South Korea was certified as a "measles-free country" by the World Health Organization (WHO), but measles cases appear to have increased this year due to increased overseas travel and an aging population.
Of the 52 cases, 34 came from abroad - mainly from Vietnam - and the remaining 18 were transmitted domestically through international travelers in households or medical facilities.
An official from the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said: "As measles cases increase globally, more imported cases are likely to occur. Thanks to our stable vaccination rate and surveillance system, the risk of a rapid outbreak remains low."
Officials at the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said other diseases typically associated with less developed countries, such as tuberculosis and scabies, are also showing an upward trend.
Related articles:
More than 160 measles cases in U.S. spark public health alert